Committees are the lifeblood of STMA. Each year, nearly two hundred members volunteer to serve on the more than 20 STMA Committees and Task Groups. These volunteers help guide the development of programs and provide member insight and feedback on new initiatives and current services. Committee work helps to advance the mission and strategic plan of STMA.
Committee service is for one year beginning in March and ending in February. Most committees meet via conference calls several times a year.
- Awards: To judge the association’s awards program applicants selecting the Field of the Year winners and the Minor League Baseball Sports Turf Manager of the Year; to develop strategies to enhance the programs. (Approx. 12 hours Mid-Oct. to Mid-Nov.)
- Bylaws: To develop association bylaws, which are fair and enforceable, and clearly define the expectations for membership, governance processes and board of directors service. (Approx. 3 hours per year)
- Certification: To develop strategies to grow the number of certified members; to consistently monitor the program and recommend enhancements to ensure that the program is the top achievement for sports turf managers. (Approx. 12 hours per year)
- Certification Review Panels: (CSFM Members ONLY) To consider alleged violations of any Application or Certification Standard. Panels may be established as standing panels. Members may be assigned to one of three panels (These panels are called into operation only if there is a concern of possible violation).
- Chapter Relations: To create a chapter structure that is beneficial locally and nationally; to financially assist chapters with their administrative, operations and educational efforts; to facilitate the sharing of best practices. (Approx. 6 hours a year)
- Conference: (Conference Education, Exhibition, and Tours subcommittees) To develop all content, sessions, workshops and off-site venues, and select speakers and moderators for the next year’s conference that will make it a “must attend” event for members and nonmembers; to recommend strategies that will drive attendance to the exhibition and will add value to exhibitors. (Education - approx. 12 hours over 2 months; Exhibition - approx. 4 hours per year; Tours - approx. 6 hours per year)
- Commercial Membership: To recommend specific strategies to grow commercial membership and to develop benefits and value for our commercial members. (Approx. 4 hours per year)
- Editorial: To insure that the STMA magazine contains information relevant to the sports turf manager; to provide ideas and contacts for articles for publication. (Approx. 4 hours per year)
- Environmental:To develop environmental strategies that position STMA and its members as leaders in environmental stewardship and the related health and safety issues that impact fans and players. (Approx. 12 hours per year)
- Ethics: To provide a fair and unbiased council to investigate claims of ethics violations, determine if the claim has merit, and shepherd the appeals process. (This Committee is called into operation only if there is an ethics violation claim).
- Finance & Audit: To provide oversight of the STMA’s financial resources by reporting information to the Board of Directors. (Approx. 5 hours per year)
- Historical: To preserve the history of the association and the profession. (Approx. 24 hours per year)
- Information Outreach: To develop educational and informational opportunities for members to enhance their personal and professional development. (Approx. 8 hours per year).
- International:To position STMA as a global leader in sports facility management and make STMA the ‘go-to’ resource for those who work internationally in the industry. (Approx. 8 hours per year)
- Membership: To develop initiatives to drive membership growth and retention; to recommend programs that add value for each member. (Approx. 6 hours per year)
- Natural Grass Task Group: To develop strategies to promote the benefits and possibilities of natural grass for athletic fields.
- Nominating: The Immediate Past President chairs this committee selects its members. It must have representation from each category of membership. (Not available for general committee sign-up)
- Past President’s Advisory Council: Purpose: To advise the STMA Board on issues pertaining to the past, present and future of STMA. (Limited to STMA Past Presidents)
- Scholarship: To judge the recipients of the SAFE Scholarships, the Terry Mellor Educational Grant and the Gary Vandenburg Internship Grant; to develop strategies to enhance these programs. (Approx. 12 hours over one month mid-Oct. to mid-Nov.).
- Student Challenge: To develop the annual student challenge exam questions, answer key, and protocols; assist in proctoring the exam as needed. (Approx. 6 hours per year and volunteering at the conference)
- Student Membership: To recommend specific strategies to grow student membership, to provide students with appropriate resources and services as they move to their first job post-college. (Approx. 6 hours per year)
- Technical Standards: To help determine standards and best management practices needed in the profession and to guide the work of the ASTM on developing sports field and facility standards. (Approx. 4 hours per year)
- Turfgrass Curriculum Deployment: To develop and implement strategies to best utilize the STMA turfgrass curriculum. (Approx. 8 hours per year)
- Website: To insure that the STMA website contains information relevant to members, prospects and the green industry in an easily accessible and consumable format. (Approx. 4 hours per year).