Field of the Year Awards
The 2013 STMA Field of the Year Application is now ready! The deadline for submitting an entry is Oct. 15.
Download the Field of the Year Application here. Additionally, the STMA PCI is required for the Field of the Year program and has been included as part of the application form.
Download 10 Tips on How to Prepare a Winning Entry for some ideas on how to get started.
Read the instructions for submitting carefully, as the process is entirely electronic again this year. While not a true “online process,” applicants are required to fill out the forms and submit their materials (forms and photos) via email, the internet or a flash drive or CD. It is the intent of the Awards Committee that this process allow for remote judging of applications, provide a level playing field (pun not intended) for all applicants regardless of budget spent on “the presentation” of the facts regarding the field, and really help the “story” of the field and crew shine through.
STMA Field of the Year Awards may be presented in baseball, softball, football, soccer, or sporting grounds and all entry materials must be submitted in accordance with the procedures outlined for each award. All award recipients will be selected by the STMA Awards Committee made up of highly-regarded STMA professionals. Award winners will be notified in November via phone and email. Those not selected will be notified via email in November as well.
If you have any questions about the program, please call STMA Headquarters at 800-323-3875.
STMA Awards Program Sponsors
2012 Field of the Year Award Winners
- Schools and Parks – Don Gaebelein Field; Norcross, GA; Josh Weigel
- College and University – TD Ameridtrade Park; Omaha, NE; Dan Blank
- Professional – Fluor Field at the West End/Greenville Drive; Greenville, SC; Greg Burgess
- Schools and Parks – Panther Stadium at Oregon USD; Oregon, WI; Ron Novinska
- College and University – Jack Trice Stadium at Iowa State University; Ames IA; Tim VanLoo, CSFM
- Schools and Parks – Waukegan SportsPark; Waukegan, IL; Noel Brusius, CSFM
- College and University – Gordon Field at Vassar College; Poughkeepsie, NY; Anne Beckingham
- Professional – Dick's Sporting Goods Park; Commerce City, CO; Bret Baird
- Schools and Parks – Alpenrose Stadium; Portland, OR; Mike Hebrard
- College – Tiger Park at Louisiana State University; Baton Rouge, LA; Eric Harshman
- Schools and Parks – Infinity Park Rugby Field; City of Glendale, CO; Noel Harryman
Suggestions from the Awards Committee
Start taking pictures and documenting your progress now! The STMA Awards Committee encourages sports turf managers to be creative in their applications and pictures, while still working within the framework of the program. The committee encourages creative photos, photos that show the versatility of the field, display unique characteristics of the field, and photos that show the unique talents of the crew. Focus on issues specific to your field which tell the story; issues such as drainage, traffic, weather, etc. Provide before and after shots. Do not simply provide ‘beauty shots’ of your field, as they do not reflect the true struggles and triumphs of you and your crew.