Field of the Year Awards
The 2013 STMA Field of the Year Application is now ready! The deadline for submitting an entry is Oct. 15.
Download the Field of the Year Application here. Additionally, the STMA PCI is required for the Field of the Year program and has been included as part of the application form.
Download 10 Tips on How to Prepare a Winning Entry for some ideas on how to get started.
Read the instructions for submitting carefully, as the process is entirely electronic again this year. While not a true “online process,” applicants are required to fill out the forms and submit their materials (forms and photos) via email, the internet or a flash drive or CD. It is the intent of the Awards Committee that this process allow for remote judging of applications, provide a level playing field (pun not intended) for all applicants regardless of budget spent on “the presentation” of the facts regarding the field, and really help the “story” of the field and crew shine through.
STMA Field of the Year Awards may be presented in baseball, softball, football, soccer, or sporting grounds and all entry materials must be submitted in accordance with the procedures outlined for each award. All award recipients will be selected by the STMA Awards Committee made up of highly-regarded STMA professionals. Award winners will be notified in November via phone and email. Those not selected will be notified via email in November as well.
If you have any questions about the program, please call STMA Headquarters at 800-323-3875.
STMA Awards Program Sponsors
- College/University: Kobs Field, McLane Baseball Stadium, Michigan State University: Jared Knoodle, Groundskeeper, Amy Fouty, CSFM, Athletic Turf Manager, Marc Novicki
- Schools/Parks: The Steward School Baseball Field: Mark Roberts, Athletic Turf & Field Manager, The Varsity Baseball Team, Head Baseball Coach Bruce Secrest, and the Assistant to the Athletic Director Garrett Compton
- Professional: Isotopes Park, Albuquerque Isotopes Baseball Club: Casey Griffin, Director of Field Operations
- College/University: Leslie Frazier Field, Trinity International University: Andy Yeaman, Grounds Supervisor, Randy Chappell, Jonathan Ware, James Ware, Josh Kelsey
- Schools/Parks: MHS Middle Division Football Field, Milton Hershey School: Joe Barr, Jason Bowers, CSFM, and Caleb Nippert
- College/University: Florida Atlantic University Softball Stadium, Ken Czerniak, Sports Turf Manager, Phillip Bathalon, Casey Myers, and Micah Bennett
- Schools/Parks: Lady Panthers Softball Field, Park Hill South: Eric Jones
- College/University: Championship Field, Seattle University: Kevin White, Peter Larson, Emily Perales, David Clausen, John Easley
- Schools/Parks: The Jungle, Louisa County High School: Michael Hopkins, The Jungle Turf Crew
- Professional: Columbus Crew Stadium Pitch: Weston Appelfeller, Director of Grounds, Ben Jackson, Mitch Litz, Ryan Martin, Will Forister, Gary Rasor, Reese Overly
- Schools/Parks: Infinity Park, City of Glendale: Noel Harryman, Manager Turf Operations, Josh Bertrand, Gene Hazlett, Vickie Allen, Kevin Brown, Matt McCord, Jody Yonke, Joe Fererra, Christi Clay, Corey Williams, Chris Roozing
Suggestions from the Awards Committee
Start taking pictures and documenting your progress now! The STMA Awards Committee encourages sports turf managers to be creative in their applications and pictures, while still working within the framework of the program. The committee encourages creative photos, photos that show the versatility of the field, display unique characteristics of the field, and photos that show the unique talents of the crew. Focus on issues specific to your field which tell the story; issues such as drainage, traffic, weather, etc. Provide before and after shots. Do not simply provide ‘beauty shots’ of your field, as they do not reflect the true struggles and triumphs of you and your crew.