Turfgrass Science Curriculum
STMA's Turfgrass Science Curriculum was developed to provide agriculture educators with lessons to introduce secondary students to the turfgrass industry. Turfgrass is vitally important to the economy, the environment, and to the communities where we live. Help students become aware of the turfgrass science field and give them an appreciation of the science and skills necessary to care for a turfgrass surface. The curriculum can provide a foundation for students pursuing a college degree in the green industry, or it can help them in their everyday life to manage a home lawn, or as a volunteer to help care for parks or community recreation areas.
- Build a solid foundation in the science and practices of turfgrass management so secondary students can successfully care for a turfgrass surface.
- Introduce students to community, environmental, and economic benefits of turfgrass.
- Introduce students to career opportunities in the turfgrass industry.
- Provide a competitive edge to students interested in pursuing higher education in the turfgrass industry.
- Provide a comprehensive curriculum that can be easily implemented in secondary agriculture education classrooms regardless of teacher experience and background.
- Meet the needs of students and requirements set forth by Pennsylvania Department of Education. Can easily be adjusted to meet the requirements of state Departments of Education
A comprehensive curriculum is available in 5 Units:
- Introduction to Turfgrass Science
- Turfgrass Growth & Development, Anatomy, and Identification
- Turfgrass Soils
- Turfgrass Cultural Practices
- Turfgrass Establishment
Each unit includes complete lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, worksheets, individual and class projects, quizzes, and hands-on learning labs (indoor and outdoor). The curriculum was developed to provide agriculture educators with lessons that could supplement any secondary plant science curriculum. The units can be used to enhance the plant science curriculum or replace other units in the plant science curriculum. The units should be used as a whole in the order they are presented to provide the most benefit to learners.
The curriculum is also available in an online format. The online tool provides self-paced learning opportunities that can be utilized for training individuals new to the turfgrass industry. Agriculture instructors, sports field crew members, parks and recreation employees, and others new to turfgrass science will benefit from the online curriculum.
ACCESS THE ONLINE CURRICULUM
Purchase the Curriculum
The curriculum is available in a jump drive format or online. THESE ARE TWO DIFFERENT VERSIONS. The jump drive is intended for classroom instruction and meets the needs of secondary agriculture instructors. The online format is formatted for individual students and allows for self-paced training. Please be sure to order the correct format according to your needs.
STMA Member Jump Drive - $75 (+ $7.00 shipping)
STMA Member Online - $75
Nonmember Jump Drive - $200 (+ $7.00 shipping)
Nonmember Online - $200
Nonmember - Click on Member Log-In, and then click on the New Visitor tab. Enter your information, and then scroll through the online shopping cart to find and purchase the Turfgrass Science Curriculum.
Member - Click on Member Log-In and enter your username and password. Click on Membership, Merchandise, and Online Registration. Scroll through the online shopping cart to find and purchase the Turfgrass Science Curriculum.